Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Safari on Windows

I just installed the beta3 of Safari for windows. I usually just use Konqueror as a Safari stand in (they both use the KHTML rendering engine). However, using a stand in is always a bit risky but, I'm just not going to buy a Mac only to test web pages.

So far, for my pages anyway, it appears to render my pages the same as Konqueror. It does appear to have some newer features (or maybe my Konq is out of date). I see the opacity in CSS is working (woohoo! my DHTML fading tricks work on it). The XML/XSLT transform appears to be at least as good as Firefox/IE (completely broken in Konq). I'll find more as I experiment with it.

I've tried to give a little bit of a shakedown though, nothing thorough. I like it if a browser can support common (to me) keyboard shortcuts.
  • ctrl-l and alt-d will bring the focus to the address bar
  • ctrl-k puts the focus on the search bar
  • ctrl-t starts a new tab
  • ctrl-w will close the current tab
  • alt-left/right arrows nav forward and backward
Those are the things I use most frequently so, it seems to be holding up. Currently, my only beef is when using 'windows-m', which should minimize every window, I find Safari still sitting on top (bummer).

At first glance, it appears to be a decent addition to the web browser collection. More variety is a good thing.

Update: ok, ctrl-pgup/pgdn does not work to switch between tabs. suck
I've got to find the keyboard shortcut to switch between tabs.

_

Labels: , ,

permalink
Links to this post

3 Comments:

At 23 June, 2007 10:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure it's really about iphone development...http://thenewsroom.com/details/422936?c_id=wom-bc-js

 
At 01 August, 2007 13:54, Blogger Unknown said...

All browsers should have keyboard shortcut options similar to Opera's; complete custom control.

 
At 09 September, 2007 08:46, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CTRL-TAB

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Links to this post on: