Tuesday, February 07, 2006

CVS Permission denied

or, the joy of maintaining a CVS server.

So, I'm stuck maintaining the group's CVS server. After some configuration and restarting xinetd, I get a persmission denied error when connecting remotely.
"can't create directory /root/tmp/cvs-1234, permission denied."
Seems bizzare that it would want to work in the root temp directory. Everything has always worked before.
After a bit of research, I believe that its happening because I am restarting xinetd (/etc/init.d/xinetd restart) as root, instead of how it happens during startup.
Solution, add a tmp directory entry in /etc/cvs/cvs.conf
So, now my /etc/cvs/cvs.conf file looks like:

CVS_REPOS="/usr/local/cvsroot"
CVS_PSERV_REPOS="/usr/local/cvsroot"
TMPDIR=/tmp


I hope someone might find that useful. I've seen lots of posts (after googling) on this.

permalink
Links to this post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Links to this post on: